Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: on amphib floats, gross 1200lbs...

Default on amphib floats, gross 1200lbs...

hi, all... I'm new to this board, and still a non-pilot, but I've been interested in UL's for close to 10 years.
    What I'm interested in is something that can be used as a bush plane or such, can fly off amphib floats, where I can explore northern Alberta and BC...

a few planes I've been looking at are
    Highlander
    Kitfox
    Bushcaddy
    Maverick - ?
    ... any other suggestions?
    I'd also like to get something that I can run with either a VW, or a Sube...
    (if VW, with a PSRU, to run 100hp)

Any input is more than welcome. you guys (and girls) are the pro's, not me...

me again... the reason I had the question mark on the Maverick, is because its gross weight is lower than I'd like, and its cabin is kind of narrow.

has there ever been any talk from Murphy, about building up the Mav, to give it a gross of 1200lbs, and maybe widen the cabin a little? (I know, wishful thinking...)

Have you condidered a Challenger? Considering what you said about the Maverick it may or may not fit your bill.
    Last edited by Matak; 09-05-2006 at 08:50 AM.
    -----------------------------
    Steve

~I hope to be able to answer some of your questions one of these days. I've a Lil Buzzard with a Subaru EA81, be nice to have it on amphibs next spring. The floats and mounts are finished, with the exception of the amphib gear. One thing I will prob need is more power, as they say one can't have too much with a float plane! I don't think you would have a problem with any of the planes you mentioned, the power is the thing.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matak View Post
    Have you condidered a Challenger? Considering what you said about the Maverick it may or may not fit your bill.
    I've often considered it, as it's a very economical option, but I like the ones that 'look' like a bushplane.
    And, I like the idea of having cargo space behind the seat, for camping and fishing equipment... I mean, just imagine, flying into a secluded northern Alberta lake, setting up camp, then blowing up the inflatable dingy and going out to catch a 15 pound pike for supper... which reminds me... do floats typically have a storage compartment long enough for fishing rods?

A lot like my dreams! I think that with amphibs you could fish right off of the floats. With the Challenger you also get the option of opening a door on either side which isn't always the case with other ultralights. About stowage for the rods, would it be feasable to lash a length of 4" PVC sewer pipe to the floats, cap the ends and store your rod in that? Or would it make for instability dring flight?

Matthew, did you get your nose gear figured out? If you don't mind me asking, what was the final tally of your floats?
    Last edited by Matak; 09-05-2006 at 10:51 PM.
    Steve

It will be a single nose gear retracting between the floats. I thought long and hard about mounting one in the nose of each float, but this way will be far simpler. Still havn't figured out exactly how to do it, but I have some ideas. The floats are MukTuks, out of wood, fiberglass sheathed with kevlar over the chines and keel. 65lbs ea., prob 15lbs heavier with the gear. Cost $800 to build, including material for the struts.
    Yet^another^dreamer, change that northern Alberta lake to a northern Ontario one, and thats my dream too! Getting pretty close....
    -Matt

Hmmm. $800 sounds alot more attractive than $5500 for amphibs, to be sure. When (Lord willing) I build my AULA am I limited to a small selection of pre made floats or can I make my own and still maintain the advanced status?
    Steve

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not it's possible to tie a small canoe between the floats of a plane... would that cause instability? prob'ly, eh? (a Murphy Moose could likely handle it, but at the size of plane I'm looking at, doubtful)

Quote Originally Posted by Yet^Another^Dreamer View Post
    I've often considered it, as it's a very economical option, but I like the ones that 'look' like a bushplane.
    And, I like the idea of having cargo space behind the seat, for camping and fishing equipment... I mean, just imagine, flying into a secluded northern Alberta lake, setting up camp, then blowing up the inflatable dingy and going out to catch a 15 pound pike for supper... which reminds me... do floats typically have a storage compartment long enough for fishing rods?
    God man, you are a big eater!!!!!!! I have been there and done that only that pike was a trout and hardly 15 lbs. The trips that I have taken in my plane to the lakes here in Nfld are too numerous to mention and each one was as enjoyable as the first. We are so lucky!!!
    I too like the look of a plane such as a cub and those that have that configuration. I do most flying on a Merlin and find that to be one of the most rugged planes for bush flying with a lighter typical 2 stroke engine 582 or bigger on Full Lotus floats; this is a good combination as long as you watch your guages and pay attention to what ey are telling you. I have approx1000 hrs now on utralights with only two forced landings and no damage.

Mac